Thursday 14 October 2010

Day 50 Because it is a Right

I met with a friend, G, this evening, and we went to see 'Made in Dagenham' - the story of the women workers at Ford's factory quest for equal pay for women in the late 1960s. I have to confess at moments watching that film I was so proud to be a woman, and it is through efforts of women like them that we have the many advantages we have today.

One of the things that was said was that having equal pay and equal footing was a right not a favour or a perk or an extra, and they had to have something done about it right then and there and not later. I think that is something that can be applied to my thinking about my health too.

I want to be a hero to myself. I want to fight for my right to be healthy. And the opposition to me, the vested interests in keeping the status quo are the influences from outside and within me, that say - next year. Next time. Another day. Not now.

Well, the time IS now. And this is where my right to be healthy gets exercised, right here, and right now. No time like the present to tackle any problem. Within this ordinary being there is the superhero to her life. :)

I can do this.

When I was doing my exercises with my handweights this morning I noticed that I have some that are 2kg each. Both of them in my hands are pretty heavy.
And that is the amount of weight I have lost since the end of August. 8lb or 4 kg less that is now currently on my frame. And I'm SO glad its gone!

I'd been feeling really blue for the last few days, and being out tonight has been a real tonic for my mood. While waiting for G this evening I was in a cafe near the cinema, and I thought - why don't I do this more often? Just be out, and have a coffee or cup of tea and be somewhere else. So that's what I'm going to do now, every so often, just go out, walk or cycle or catch the bus and go have a sit down in a local cafe and just observe everyone. There's more to creating a healthy life than paying attention to my food and exercise. There is also creating a better lifestyle. A life where I enjoy pretty much all the minutes of it, every day. Maybe I'll be inspired to do some writing!

Food stats today: SW Green Day Syns 58.5 (Ouch!) and calories 2748. I've had a glass of red wine, chocolate and a nice evening out.

No comments:

Post a Comment