Thursday 7 October 2010

Day 43 A questionaire on weight

Kenz from All the Weigh posted this today & being in a writing & blogging kind of mood here's my version. :) Thanks Kenz - it was good to answer these and clarify those thoughts in my head.

1. What was your highest weight, what do you weigh right now and what is your goal weight?
Not sure what my highest weight was but it was certainly around the 25 st mark in 2004. Right now I'm around the 300lb mark (don't know for certain, have a bathroom scale with a big wobble range!) and my goal is around 140-150 lbs.

2. What is your #1 motivation for losing weight?
To feel fit and healthy.

3. Have you always been overweight?
Yes. I was a chubby child, a plump teenager, and overweight young adult, and an obese woman since my early 30s.

4. When you want to give up what inspires you to keep going?
The thought of being able to do all the activities I haven’t been able to do, some of which I did do once – like dinghy sailing without fear, learning to row (Falcon Club here I come!), learning to scuba dive, salsa, ceroc (wow that WOULD be amazing), belly-dancing, tennis, badminton, golf!!(I learned how to this summer, but didn’t feel fit enough to walk on the course), maybe be allowed back in the gym once my blood pressure has stabilized (I loathe drugs & they strip away my energy & make me put on weight/retain water/feel dizzy), CYCLING!!, going on long walks, hikes, rambles with new friends without having to say I have to stop, basically being full of energy and able to do any activity I want without worrying that my body will not be up to it. Sailing in yachts and racing small sailboats perhaps! Skiing, para-gliding, kite-surfing...I love the idea of doing all that high energy stuff and having FUN. I might even, if I get fit and light enough & strong enough, I might even learn how to climb! Yay! And finally I want to be able to RUN. As in sprint, leg it, go all out to get somewhere fast on foot. That I haven’t been able to do since I was 10. And with my new fitness and strong body maybe I can explore being a team member in some sport – I loved hockey when I was a child, but was never picked for teams because I was fat.

5. What is the #1 thing you look forward to when you hit your goal weight?
Looking and feeling fit, healthy and darned attractive!

6. Do you have support on your weight loss journey?
All the friends I have told have been very encouraging. My mum & dad are pleased for me. Have not yet told my siblings as I’m yet to post any weight loss – Tues 12 Oct 2010 is the crunch day, to see if the tiny steps I have been making since 25 Aug 2010 have added up to some kind of scale number victory.

7. What is your favorite exercise?
Swimming at the moment. Hiking when I do it. When I am light enough again, it will be cycling.

8. What is the most important thing you have learned on your weight loss journey?
Perseverance and baby steps. To set small goals, make small changes, and to build on those once I’ve made them habitual. Today where I am standing, 6 weeks away from when I started, is a milestone away from where I was at the end of August. And additionally it is light-years away from where I was in 2004 – injured, unfit, sedentary, asthmatic, smoking, morbidly morbidly obese, house-bound, mildly agoraphobic, totally lacking in confidence, and unable to imagine life could be any different.

9. What is one thing you have given up that you miss the most?
I haven’t given up anything. I had stopped eating sliced bread & butter these last 6 weeks, but today I had a small portion of butter on a bagel and it was fine. Everything in moderation means I can have anything I like, nothing is off limits. Even high calorie stuff as long as it is in small portions.

10. What is your strategy for losing weight?
Choosing the healthier options and smaller portions in my foods, moving more, and giving myself encouragement & praise for every new milestone/baby step I make. And putting mistakes down to experience, and moving on from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment