Saturday 27 November 2010

Day 94-95 The Omnivore's Dilemma & Fat Burner Day 1/14

Completely forgot to post for Day 94. Eating yesterday has been healthyish but too many calories as usual.
I had 2 banana muffins & roobios tea with milk for breakfast.
Then barley & vegetable soup, 2 slices toast with sunflower spread for mid-morning.
Late lunch was the last of my Desiree potato haul from the garden, about 8 oz, boiled in their skins, chopped up and fried in 2 tbsp olive oil with lots of mushrooms & spinach, and topped with red cheddar.
Tea time, I had roobios tea with milk and 2 slices of wholemeal toast with sunflower spread, 2 tbsp wholenut peanut butter & 2 tbsp Bonne Maman strawberry jam.
Dinner was 75g of linguine pasta with my favourite sauce - 1 fresh chilli, 2 cloves of garlic ground up with 0.5 tsp coarse sea-salt, mixed with 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 finely chopped ripe red tomatoes, 10 big cooked prawns and a big handful of roughly chopped watercress. This time I made the conscious decision to only cook 75g instead of 100g of pasta - yay! And it was, surprisingly enough, totally enough. :) I felt full, but not stuffed. :D Result!
Water consumption was 1.75 pints.
And somewhere in that day I also ate a pear, an apple, a clementine and a satsuma.

The last two days I have been contemplating starting the Fat Burner Plan, so I suppose all this eating is storing up for the lean days ahead! Daft thinking! Well, I've eaten lots of my fave things over the last week, and at least now I can go forward with the thought that at the end of this 14 days I can eat them again - in moderation!

I'm absolutely fascinated with this book - The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. I am learning things I never knew about the food industry in the USA and no doubt it also impacts here in the UK. Later no doubt, when I have finished the book, I will probably go to my cupboards and inspect every single processed foodstuff I have with a label for all those things that might originate from Zea Mays...otherwise known as maize.

Heh. That is such a great name, Zea Mays - perfect for a villain(ness) perhaps? Other things I have been thinking about is about writing. I haven't done any stories in a long time, I think that muscle needs exercising as much as the physical muscles! Came across some explanations & tales of the Hindu Gods, and they have some rather interesting stories too. One in particular reminds me of the story of Job from the Bible. Interesting this.

Actually ventured out into the garden this morning. In my PJs! Oh - crispy cold! Cat very sensibly stayed indoors. We had the tiniest sprinkling of snow during the night, and because I forgot to put away my hosepipe, it is now frozen solid and firmly clamped to the tap...

Going to head on out a bit later. The nice thing about crispy cold is that one soon warms up walking, and then there is the joy of entering a nice warm interior at the end. Might even be time to move all the chests in front of the fireplace and get that gas fire going again. Nothing quite like warm real flames in a fireplace to add to that cosy feel!

Today is my first day on the 14 day Fat Burner Plan. The next three days are veggie soup, fruit, veggies and water/herbal drinks. My weight last night - on the unreliable scales ;) was 305 lbs. It will be good to get that down to below 300 lbs for Christmas. Gosh, exactly one month...

2 comments:

  1. I love Michael Pollan! He's really helped me consider why I eat what I eat. Tell me how you like the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexia! Thanks for dropping by :)

    Hmm, I'm only a third of the way through, but so far it has reinforced my long-held beliefs about food - fresh, locally sourced, seasonal, non-intensively farmed is best. For me, for our food animals, for the planet's ecosystems, not to mention taste, nutrients and knowing exactly what is in the food...

    ReplyDelete