Tuesday 11 January 2011

Day 139 Vegetablicious

As a reaction to yesterday's processed-white-bread-and-butter fest, today my body has really craved fresh fruit and veg ( plus lots of sleep! ). Thankfully I obeyed this imperative and spent a happy hour at Sainsbury's fondling luscious veggies, drooling over beauteous flowers and generally chilling out walking around the store. My butt has been thanking me for this - it still doesn't feel that happy being plonked on a chair, so maybe some other activity is on the agenda for tomorrow.

I did come home with a haul of exotic cheeses, but these have been stowed in a box with a solid lid in the fridge, and I have given myself permission to eat from it once a day. What I don't see immediately, I won't be thinking about! Well, that's the idea at any rate.

Yummy fruit & veggies for today:
Rocha pear - sweetly perfectly ripe! Score!
Home-made minestrone soup, packed with carrots, celery, onions, borlotti beans, digitali pasta, tomato puree
Four clementines - sweet zingy
Nashi pear - crunchy yummy
Five new potatoes, smashed with a tablespoon of olive oil, freshly ground pepper, seasalt & topped with boiled brussels sprouts (this is my lo-cal version of colcannon)
A harlequin bowlful ( about 2 cups) of chopped peppery radishes, crunchy carrots, red, orange & yellow sweet bell pepper

I guess I've definitely had my five-a-day!

Other eats:
several mugs of chai & lapsang souchong tea with milk
50g chilli peanuts
a cupful of Kettle's sweet chilli crisps
small slices of 5 different cheeses with 6 Ritz, 3 high bake & 3 oatcake biscuits and 15g butter

I've kept a lid on the fats for today plus addressed the calcium, protein, fibre & starchy carbs factors too.

I had intended to have grilled fresh sardines, but fell asleep early evening and woke up craving veg. The Omega 3 will have to wait for tomorrow's lunch.

Today was sunny, I got some fresh air, got rid of some more clutter & junk, and have almost caught up with my work schedule. I'm also feeling a lot less anxious about that project from last week. It is almost out of my hands now, which is always a good thing.

Cool observation of the day: I nearly threw away those sprouts I had for dinner. They looked really sad - black mottling on the outside, browned stems. I don't know why, but instead of dumping them, I gave them another chance and pulled off the outer leaves, and cut of the browned stem bits, and yay! they were perfectly firm and fresh looking underneath. I felt, the whole time I was fixing them, that this could be applied to my life. I'm in the process of lifting off the damaged, mildewy bits, and revealing the essential goodness at the core.

:)

And those sprouts were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment