Tuesday 31 August 2010

Day 7 Mind Matters

Another sunny day. Today I read Lynn's Weigh, another inspirational story. It is a long time ahead before I even get a sniff at maintenance levels but I was interested to note that the same level of mindfulness is necessary to maintain as to actually get started on the healthy way of living & eating.

I have read Louise Hay's You can Heal Your Life, and daily affirmation in boosting  my self-esteem and changing my perception of myself from negative derogatory terms to praiseworthy positive terms seems an imperative. So I am going to dwell on the good stuff, and emphasize those aspects of my life and doings. As for the less good, acknowledge it and let it go. Easy to say, not so easy to do - pretty much like changing the way I feel and view and consume food! Baby steps though are good.

When I think back to my consumption five years ago or even 5 months ago, I am totally heartened by the changes I have already wrought in my life. I eat more fruit and vegetables, and like them. I am much more mindful of how much oil and butter I put on my food, and have changed my palate to appreciate creaminess in smaller quantities and in half fat versions. I still have a weakness for cheese, but I slice it thinly for sandwiches, and use it as a topping and a flavouring now rather than the raison d'ĂȘtre of the dish. I am now working on changing my perceptions and feelings of portion sizes and this is coming along well. :) I eat very little chocolate, sugar, sweets, puddings, confectionery, pastries. A lot less bread than I used to as that is one of my trigger foods - I can eat bread slathered with butter until the cows come home!

A consequence of all this mindfulness about food is that I really appreciate finding, buying and cooking my food. And cooking itself is now so easy. As I am doing it only to please myself. I had always been the cook in my significant relationships, and like to cook for an appreciative audience. So learning to cook for just myself has been a small journey which I am now getting proficient in. Measuring helps. As does only buying enough for one. Also I very seldom make pastry, cakes or puddings so that also helps!

An ex boyfriend once sent me this:
''Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day'' - a cynical take on learning! But the general sentiment of doing for oneself, being independent and having free choice instead of being dependent on another's actions is clear. I'm glad to be steering my own boat and learning to fish for myself on this healthful journey. And if I do drink some beer along the way, I shall of course be mindful of it! :D

Food today: again mostly healthy choices, I am so happy about how I view food today. It is a friend, a pleasure, and is no longer a way to disguise my unhappiness with some other aspect of my life.
Breakfast: banana, strawberries, 125ml greek yoghurt, 125ml ss milk, 1/2 tbsp honey in a smoothie, roobios tea
Lunch: sliced pork chop, with 1/2 pkt fresh egg noodles, watercress, spinach stirfried in 1 tbsp olive oil, flavoured with a chopped clove of garlic, & half a red chilli plus a slug of sesame oil, soy sauce, maggi seasoning, kitchap manis; banana
Snack: 100g onion baton, 1 tbsp olive oil, sliced tomatoes
Dinner: As lunch, with extra portion of stirfry veg with edamame beans
Snack: 50g cheerios with 200ml ss milk
Water: 4 pints

Exercise: no extra efforts today. But am feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment