Thursday 26 August 2010

Gripe

My neighbour installed a new back security light earlier this year. We have terraced houses with a long narrow corridor between us, so her light shines directly into my kitchen all night. I did go round and object the first week she had it, and she turned it off. Now, however, the damned thing has gone back on. It has been on for the last 3 nights and I am beginning to feel as if I am living in a prison camp with search lights every time I walk to the back of the house. Plus, when I went outside to analyse the whole light emitting area, she already has a light right at the back of her property which illuminates her garden AND mine, darn it.

I don't want to see her pipework lit out in glorious relief when I look out my kitchen window. Nor do I see why I should have to buy a blind just because she wants to have a light outside. There are ways, and lights she could have gotten that do not impinge on my comfort. A big plant to shade the blasted thing. A lightshade to direct the light area away from my property. I do believe she is causing light pollution. I have lived here for over 15 years and have never been in dispute with any of my neighbours. Even the holy roller church behind me are okay, if a little noisy sometimes. I'm a live and let live kind of person. But some things I do feel strongly about and this is one of them.

I like having darkness at the back of my property. I like the idea of my garden being dark, so should I wish in the evenings to put little lights out, it will look romantic. I don't want harsh security lighting destroying my pleasure in my property. I don't have an issue with the light that shines into her garden although I'd prefer it not to be there. It is ugly. I DO have an issue with the one that shines into my kitchen. I've written her a letter and am going to drop it in her letterbox in the morning.

So much for early night, am spending some hours tonight reading Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People by James Borg - I have a feeling I am going to need it. Ughhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment