Friday 14 November 2014

My sooper-dooper bread rolls

My bread rolls turned out great this time. Baking is a chancy business for me, sometimes I get great results, sometimes not so great. It is probably due to the fact I never seem to follow a recipe twice...or I'm ad-hoc-ing some of the ingredients!

Made these last night because I had a real craving for bread and there was none in the freezer. This recipe was a success :) Sort of a combination of classic dinner rolls and artisan no knead high liquid method. Possibly too because I allowed the dough to rise 3 times and baked them in a properly hot oven.

Super-dooper bread rolls - 16

Ingredients
650g Sainsbury strong white flour,
1 tsp Sainsbury Basics fine salt
2 teaspoons Silver Spoon caster sugar (mine is scented with vanilla beans in the jar I keep sugar in)
1 packet Tesco instant yeast (7g)
200ml cold Tesco whole milk (homogenized - what is it with this practice??)
200ml just boiled hot water
2 tablespoons Farchioni Il Casolare Extra Virgin Olive oil (this was the ad-hoc, I simply glugged in the oil, so could be more or less)
additional sprayed oil on the parchment lined pan (I used Filippo Berio EVO pump action spray bottle)
1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil for kneading

Method
Whisk all dry ingredients together in large wide mouthed bowl.
Combine all wet in a jug and whisk before pouring onto dry
Using fork or spoon, combine until dough comes together
Knead briefly with oiled hands in bowl - 1 or 2 minutes, scraping sides. Dough will be soft and a little sticky. Do not add extra flour. Form dough into a ball by pulling down sides to underneath.
Oil bowl and return dough, rolling in oil to cover all surfaces.
Using a large clean supermarket carrier bag, spray insides with a little oil, rub together to coat, then cover dough loosely.
Place in cold oven or similar draught free space for dough to rise - 90 minutes minimum.

Remove plastic bag, knock down dough, reshape, re-oil, replace oiled plastic bag cover and allow to rise again - 90 minutes minimum.

Spray oil onto parchment baking paper lining baking tray.
Remove dough from resting place. Remove plastic bag. Knead briefly.
Divide dough into 16 pieces ( I made this many because that was what fit my baking sheet).
Shape dough. (I made classic spheres)
Flatten each piece between palms, then form into a smooth ball by bringing edges together underneath and pinching and pulling in several times. Place on oiled baking pan, pinched side down so about 1 cm of space inbetween.
Shape all dough. Can snip or brush with egg wash, scatter with seeds, salt flakes, dust with flour now.
Cover with oiled plastic bag loosely and leave to rise for 30 minutes.

15 minutes before dough fininshed rising 3rd time, turn oven on to 225ÂșC.
Remove oiled plastic bag. Check dough has risen to twice the size.
Place in top 1/3 of oven, bake for 20 minutes. Tops will be nicely browned and bases will sound hollow when tapped. Rolls may have joined together depending on distance from each other. If you don't want this, use a bigger tray and space rolls far apart.
Remove, split rolls from each other and alow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before eating.
Each roll is 174 calories, 29g carbs.

I've eaten 5 today and frozen the rest. :) They were fab warm from the oven with some fresh slightly salted butter. And just as good cold later on. The crumb was soft and open, crusts were crisp. Yummy. I'm going to try this again in a couple of weeks with chopped kalamata olives and a little extra EVO.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I am pruning down my rose climbers and buddleia, and perhaps cutting down some branches from the eucalyptus, golden elm and apple trees. Perhaps strip back all the climbers on the chainlink fence. My plan is to chop and heap up stuff, then when that's all done, spend a couple of days moving the debris to the skip in easy bucket loads. When all of that has been cleared I can examine the fence and see how to dismantle one section so the shed can be delivered.

The last few days it has rained and rained and I have been feeling sad & blue. No rain, just clouds and sunshine predicted for tomorrow, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment