Sunday 3 July 2011

Garlic love and a fresh start every day

I made red rice salad today. Have been attempting to rein in the unhealthy eating pattern I've indulged myself with over the last few weeks. A few too many pizzas, chocolate bars and pork pies! However it seems I haven't done too much damage, weight-wise. But I DO feel less energetic compared to May, when I was generally eating well and swimming 3-4 times a week.

Yesterday I started off quite well, but succumbed to a mug of cocoa & a pizza on top of all the healthy foods I had consumed. An extra 1325 calories - yikes! Never mind, today I have done better - yay! Red rice salad (mucho garlic in that) with a couple of quorn sausages and quorn southern style burgers I found lurking in the freezer. The rice salad is stuffed with good things - chickpeas, tomatoes, grapes, hazelnuts, peanut oil - lovely and filling. Heh - I'm still fuming out wafts of garlic!

Yesterday's healthy foods - lots of protein!
2 rashers back bacon, 3 scrambled eggs and a grilled tomato for breakfast
a cup of strawberries/raspberries/currants from my garden (yesss! I am so proud of my gardening skills this year, hehe) with a tablespoon of sugar mid-morning
chickpeas in balsamic dressing for lunch
the pizza/cocoa carb-fest (eek!)
dinner of steak with dijon mustard and a cup of petit pois
very late supper of penne pasta, tomato sauce with crumbled feta and grated cheddar.

I've been having tiredness spells for a while now, being prone to dropping off for a nap after eating large amounts of carb foods. My doctor had warned me that my fasting sugar level was on the high side. There is a predisposition to diabetes in my family, as well as high blood pressure. I do know I am a lot less agile and flexible than I used to be, and my big stomach just gets in the way All The Time! Intellectually I know all the stuff to fix this. Subconsciously I'm still blocking. I think I'll start listening to my Louise Hay tapes again, do some EFT every day, and just keep on doing little changes. Eating garlic is certainly a good start ;) Anyway, I picked up a book from the library last week - Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar, published by Reader's Digest. I'm heartened to realise that I already do lots of the stuff they recommend in there - yay!

Loretta from Loretta's Journey from 460 to 199 mentioned that it takes time adjusting the skewed portion size perception that a habitual over-eater has. I have to accept that for me this may be a long long road back to being an active healthy individual. It took me 2 years to put on this extra 4 stone - it may take just as long to get it off, and more years to get down to my 150 lb ideal. I think even if it takes 10 years to become that idealized version of me in my head - the me that is fit, active, toned and healthy, it is worth it.

Every day is a new day. Every day is a fresh, hopeful new start. Staying positive. Drinking lots of water. Keeping busy so I'm occupied. Doing a little more exercise every day to build my activity up. Keeping in touch with my loved ones. Finding happiness in all the small things I do and experience everyday. This is what will help me succeed.

Hmm - dinnertime now. I know there are some lovely courgettes lurking in the fridge waiting to be turned into something delicious for dinner! Courgettes with crumbled feta & red rice salad? Yum. And I know there is a lovely Solero for pudding too.

No comments:

Post a Comment