Thursday 2 September 2010

Crop Rotation

It struck me today that now I have planted the potato patch I ought to make a decision on what sort of rotation I'm going to have. I have 4 raised beds, the large potato patch, and a section of ground in between some sad raspberries and currants.

Best advice suggests a five year rotation, but I haven't the space for that. So it is going to be 4, I think that will work okay.
potatoes
peas & beans
brassicas & leafy (cabbage, cauli, broccolli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, chard)
alliums & roots (onions, leeks, garlic, parsnips, turnips, carrots, salsify, schorzonera, jerusalem artichokes)
and to fit in wherever I can,
sweetcorn, melon, squash, courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, artichokes, flowers

mmm, hope I get to plant as many of those as I can.

Must order some garlic & raspberries soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment