Monday 4 July 2011

Sowing seeds and sneaking extra activity into my day

Yesterday, Sunday, I pottered around the garden for a couple of hours. Planted a couple of barrels with 5 Charlotte and Arran Pilot potatoes each. I'm ultra proud of myself that I used this as an opportunity to build an extra bit of activity - the seed potatoes are upstairs, so instead of taking them all downstairs at once, I did two lots, so I went up and down the stairs twice - yay!

So. Back to my pots. 2 down, another 13 more to plant! I might cheat and fill three big planters with 10 potatoes each, and find various sized other odd receptacles to plant the rest, or stick a few right into the ground. This spring I had all these plans to plant a load of potatoes of all sorts in the allotment. But I gave it up, and there are all these potential seed potatoes bursting to sprout into lovely viable plants...I feel obliged to at least give them the chance to prove themselves! So it looks like I will be growing veg in the back garden and the front.

I feel all excited now at this prospect. Let's see what I ordered: 10 Charlotte, Arran Pilot, Rocket, Kestrel, Rooster, either Anya or Pink Fir Apple; then some blight resistant varieties: 20 each of Sarpo Mira, Sarpo Axona and Blue Danube. Theoretically I will be bursting with potatoes for a good few months! I think I will go look for some cheap receptacles from somewhere and plant a few as gifts for my friends. ;) I know it is everyone's overriding desire to grow potatoes...!!

I also plonked in a few seeds in the garden. I hope they will grow. Nasturtiums in the lily pots, chives & lemon coriander in the new flowerbed I created in April. That bed is now full of rampant raspberries! Amazing what a couple of months of sun and decent watering can do. I'm hoping for a nice little autumn treasure from them. Heh - in financial terms that would be called a decent return on my investment of time, effort and cash.

Sitting in my garden is always a joyful thing. I am surrounded by my successes! And the garden underscores for me the importance of doing. Doing stuff as in planting the seed. Watering the seed. Making sure harmful things are kept away from the ensuing plants. Moving them to better positions if necessary or possible. Feeding them with good nutrients. Removing competition so they get good nutrition. Trimming back dead and superfluous portions to allow the plant to concentrate its energies. And I am rewarded with beautiful flowers, and delicious fruit. Everyone is pleased with success like this. And I can see and appreciate parallels in my quest to becoming a fit, healthy, active person.

I've been selecting and planting all sorts of thought seeds in my head. Nurturing a few growing plans and desires. I've been removing the harmful influences and practices that constrict my growth and abilities. I'm now at the stage of putting those seeds into practice, by nurturing myself with good nutrition, hydration and positioning of my body in places where it can heal itself like in the swimming pool and walking. And just being more active every day. Every day is an incremental change. In a few months or a couple of years or so, I will be rewarded with the sweet glorious tangible success of being FIT, HEALTHY and ACTIVE.

That's definitely a good return to be aiming for!

Yesterday's food:
brunch: red rice salad, 2 quorn Cumberland sausages, 2 quorn Southern-style burgers
late tea: 2 courgettes, 2 slices bacon, crumbled feta cheese, a few pinenuts - stirfried in a little peanut oil
snack: sunflower and pumpkin seeds, grapes
very late supper: steak, madeira gravy, cup of petit pois

Sometime today I'm going to clear the detritus from the stairs to the attic and get up there. My lovely ex set up a weights bench there for me, so I have a home gym! I know I have a yoga mat and a contraption that helps me do abdominal exercises lurking somewhere too. And if I put the radio up there too it will make working out fun. Yay! Isn't it amazing? I already have everything I need to help me in my increased activity quest. Big grins. :D

1 comment:

  1. "I've been selecting and planting all sorts of thought seeds in my head. Nurturing a few growing plans and desires..."

    Oh, I love this analogy! It's so true. You've got it!

    ReplyDelete