Saturday 6 November 2010

Day 74 Fireworks Night

Plenty of 'ooh' and 'ahh' from the crowd tonight, as we all stood around in the chilly night air watching the skies explode above us. And the wicker man and the bonfire pile both caught fire and blazed away, the heat fierce enough to reach us, standing at the barrier some 50m away.

I love fireworks. They're such glorious, ephemeral happenings. R said that the aftermath of the smoke trails were just as amazing, especially when those 'ghost fireworks' were lit up by the next ones. We had a nice time, and maybe next time we go see something like that I will have the energy to traipse around the fairground and maybe even run around waving sparklers!

Today, I went swimming and did 32 laps. Then we went to the allotment, and dug up what potatoes were left after the blight decimated the crop. R said digging them up, he knew how the Irish potato farmers must have felt like...a very disheartening experience. But we have a few spuds, enough for lunch tomorrow.

Food today: 3080 calories on account of the two helpings of apple pie with custard, and the last of the home-baked goodies. Good thing I only bake pie once in a blue moon!

Breakfast: 1 cup sugar puffs, half cup skim milk, roobios tea
Lunch: 1 slice toast, 2 scrambled eggs made with butter, oil & milk, 2 rashers bacon, roobios tea, 2 chocolate rice krispie squares
Tea: 2 wholemeal pitta bread, aubergine & chickpea dip, roobios tea, 2 chocolate rice krispie squares
Dinner: lasagna & salad
Supper: 2 x apple pie & custard

Although I am still overeating in terms of recommended RDA, I have increased my mobility in my daily life, and I am eating far far less than I used to. Even though I struggled a little, walking in South Park up the gentle incline to the fireworks, I am so pleased I made it all the way to the top! We had a good spot right near the barriers. And then I walked all the way back to the car, parked in Cowley Road - without feeling too puffed out. When I contrast this scenario with a similar walk back in mid July, I am so cheered by the difference I can see in my ability to get around. All my baby steps are now getting me to that different place, and the view from my new standpoint is encouraging indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment